Global Parallel Experiment Log
- Experiment Name
Summer 2000 analysis and forecast changes
- Parallel Slot
- Control Slot
- Start date of parallel experiment
- End date of parallel experiment
- Environmental Modeling Center scientists
- Abstract (including Motivation, Hypothesis and Method)
A number of improvements to the operational global model
are slated for implementation in September 2000.
The motivations for these changes are
- improved ozone analyses and forecasts,
- improved use of rawinsonde data,
- improved representation of orography particularly over Antarctica,
- improved model forecast efficiency, and
- improved summertime forecast bias near the continental surface.
OBSERVATIONAL AND ANALYSIS CHANGES
The complex quality control provides a new observation error diagnosis.
The rawinsonde radiation correction has been upgraded, too.
The impacts of rawinsonde balloon drift in both space and time are included.
A new ozone analysis background error is applied
to avoid spurious far-field effects in data sparse regions.
FORECAST AND POST PROCESSING CHANGES
The terrain fields are recomputed from new USGS orography datasets.
The orography is filtered in the highest wavenumbers to reduce "ringing".
A reduced grid over polar regions is used in the MRF to gain efficiency.
A reversible interpolation is used to keep the surface file
on a full grid for compatibility.
New albedo climatology is used and
aerosols are used in the shortwave radiation and
the shortwave radiation single scattering albedo parameter is recalibrated
all to reduce the summertime continental near surface warm bias.
- Experiment changes log
- Implementation changes list
- Product changes list
- Background links
- Evaluation of parallel results
Daily forecast maps by Pete Caplan
Daily forecast stats by Pete Caplan
Verification of precipitation by Hua-Lu Pan
Verification against rawinsondes timeseries by Suru Saha
Verification against rawinsondes horizontal maps by Suru Saha
Verification against rawinsondes vertical maps by Suru Saha
Daily total ozone maps by Russ Treadon
- Implemented 2000/10/02/06
Global Parallel Home Page
Page Last Modified: October 2, 2000